Part of the transition of older, former-Thomson IR websites to our IR Room MST platform includes the creation of a custom, vanity URL. What is a vanity URL? It’s a web address that is branded for marketing purposes and clearer communications.
Below are URLs to the IR website homepage of two NYSE companies. Simply, which is better for distribution and communications?
Why a vanity URL is an IR Room Fundamental:
- Better communications within your press releases. You will drive investors directly onto your IR Room homepage rather than forcing people to first navigate through your corporate website or publish a gangly, unidentified and unbranded URL string.
- Cleaner communications within email ~ especially within text-based email… as well as forwarded emails which often strips away embedded links and displays the long, non-branded URL.
- Concise and exact link for your email signature.
- More directive and memorable “closer” in PowerPoint presentations ~ “thank you for your time today. Please visit <Vanity URL> for more information.”
- You can print it on your handouts at investor conferences and analysts can easily type it.
- You can tell people verbally.
There have been discussions whether a vanity URL is better for “building trust.” It would be hard to qualify that statement other than it I doubt it would build “shareholder confidence” but it the context of phishing and fraud websites, it would intuitively build “browser-holder confidence.”
IR Room Fundamentals view a well-managed investor relations website to be balance of corporate transparency and brand marketing.
Want to learn more about investors’ online behavior? Download our Shareholder Confidence 365 study HERE.
Download our IR Room solution brochure HERE.
Have a great day.